Monday, March 21, 2011

The Traders Village Experience

So, being that one of my favorite magazine's is Flea Market Style, natually I decided that I needed to explore one of the largest flea markets around the Houston area, Traders Village. So, bright and early Saturday morning before everything else I had to do that day I decided to venture forth and try to discover some one of a kind finds. Trader's Village is known as a giant flea market that, according to their website, is fun for the whole family. I didn't know how a flea market could be fun for the whole family, but I was about to find out.
The infamous sign

Cars as far as the eye can see. I'm not kidding this parking lot was HUGE, and it was FULL.

So as you can see there were thousands and thousands of people at this place, getting me much too excited. Walking in from the parking lot I spied countless cowboy hats and cut off overalls, many missing teeth and some new creative clothing choices. After venturing inside, aside from the people watching it was a major let down. There were a few semi-interesting things but mostly it was just a outdoor walmart with funnel cakes and a carosel. So, when your kids get tired of walking around, just send them to the carosel or the rock climbing wall, but be sure to do it before they get their funnel cake, corn dog, and icee (or things could get messy!). Just walking around and looking at all the people and what was being sold was quite entertaining. You could leave there with a dog, snake, sofa, bubble machine, pajama jeans, socks, and magic crystals and wouldn't have had to spend all day finding all those at different places! (note the sarcasam in this sentence) I've added a few of the best and the brightest from Trader's Village for everyone else to enjoy too.
Yes those are Texas wind chimes
Have you ever wanted to sit in the palm of a hand?
Need a six pack of bras?
No words needed.

Luckily, this morning did not end badly. Before I had other places to be I stopped by another antique store on my out. It was a completly different experience! I was a tad worried when I walked in and there were security cameras, giant display cases with thousands of dollars worth of glass and silver, and the urge to hold on to my purse in the off chance it should swing around and hit some priceless antique that I could never afford! But the deeper I dove into this place, the better the junk AND the prices got! I ended up finding two frames, some Texas postcards, an old typewriter tray and the coolest old wooden Dr. Pepper sign. The sign is my new favorite find, it's so art deco and cool I LOVE it!

If you live in Houston, you need to check this place out
Hello beautiful. This is my new (old) Dr. Pepper sign. I think part of it is missing but it's so awesome anyway. Dr. Pepper's motto used to be drink it at 10-2 and 4 and if you can see it has a clock with a 10-2-4 on it. And yes, I might be doing a little minor bragging that I found this for such a good price!
Arn't these so cute? They were super expensive but I just love them!
It ended up a productive morning!

So all in all it was a great morning, even if Traders Village was a bust. It was defnitely an experice and I'm glad I went, but I may not go back any time soon. I do love all my new finds though and can't wait to find awesome ways to reuse them.
What's old is new again!

No comments:

Post a Comment