Monday, April 4, 2011

Round Top...well almost

The vintage nerd in me strikes again! I headed to Round Top on Sunday to explore the miles and miles of junk for some hidden treasures. We actually went to Warrenton, which is outside of Round Top, they tend to have better deals, and defintely better characters (people watching is a must on these kinds of trips). For those of you that don't know, which again is probably most people, Round Top is a small town near the Brenham area that hosts one of the largest antique shows in the country. They put it on in October and March, they are so smart to do it when the weather is best. Here's a link to the shows website so you can see what I mean.  http://www.roundtoptexasantiques.com/index.html  If you are a serious collector or designer than you should never miss this but as a novice designer and really just a lover of vintage I opted for Warrenton, which also has great deals and isn't quite as stuffy. Digging through lots and lots of junk is part of the fun right? Here's a link to what goes on in Warrenton:  http://www.antiqueweekend.com/indexmain.html 

So driving through windy roads and small towns to get there would have been lovely enough but as soon as we opened the doors we realized the temperature had changed from the 85 degree Houston weather to the low 70's, it was perfect for outdoor junk hunting! We started out walking through one of the indoor buildings, which had some great pieces, but mostly too expensive and quickly headed outside to find some deals.

The first items I saw, I had to document this moment, they were just too special. Arn't they just lovely? Don't you want a velvet portrait of your pup?

I found some Baylor pride! This booth had literally thousands of pennats from 1900-now. This Baylor one was from the Bluebonnet Bowl They were a bit pricey but they were in awesome condition, sic em bears (sorry i had to).

Outside we had must better luck right away. We ended up around all the architectural salvage booths, which were INCREDIBLE. Doors and beams and windows, oh my! I'm not gonna lie I felt really cool walking around there with the many designers and architects there looking for items for their projects. Someday hopefully this will be me! There was fantastic furniture, doors, pieces from old buildings, tables, chairs, light fixtures, and all kinds of other repurposed items! It was soo much to take it!


When is a door not a door? When it's ajar.


Love it. Embrace it. you know you want to.

If only I had a giant white wall to mount all of these on.
In case you didn't know which state we were in.
I LOVE old doorknobs! I did find some glass ones that I'm going to use for a project (more pictures to come) but these just have so much character.

I loved soo soo many things but there were also some things you just think, "umm excuse me, are you really trying to sell this to the general public, ARE YOU CRAZY??

I hate to admit it but I kind of like this chair, haven't you always wanted to answer someone who asks you " Whatcha doin" and say in all seriousness " Just hanging around"

The cast of Golden Girls was selling their furniture, they didn't seem to have any takers.


Light fixture stolen from Area 51
love.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

 
i wanted this sooo bad...cause really where CAN'T you use this?




I did end up finding some good treasures, including (don't think i'm crazy) this old TV!
Yes, it's ok if you think I'm crazy but I love it! The vendors were trying to tell me to use it as an aquarium. I quickly vetoed this suggestion: electrical wires+water= no thanks. But I am most likely going to use it as a decorative side table, it needs a little refinishing but it was super cheap and in great condition! All in all it was a fabulous day in Warrenton, the weather was great, we found some treasures, we left before my feet REALLY started to hurt, and stopped for a DQ dipped cone on the way home. Can you get much better than that? Here's a few pics of the other things I brought home with me:


Dr. Pepper crate
Super cute 60's glasses and doorknobs

There are really 4 of the glasses that match with the pitcher

Canada Dry crate

this was my favorite picture of the weekend, i admit i tweaked the colors a little bit but how cool are the colors on the chair, even if they are just different colors of rust?


I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
-Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun!! I love the stuff you bought... esp the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like fun! I'm jealous. And some of your pictures are frame-worthy themselves. I agree the TV is cool ... and I love that "Private Office" door.

    ReplyDelete